Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Rudolph and Isadora, Part 26

     "I-- I'm very sorry." Isadora glanced down, unsure of what to say. People didn't usually go missing when they were of high enough rank to know her family. "Is there... anything I can do?"
     "No, of course not. I'm sorry even to have to tell you. But Jodra and I, we just can't ignore that fact that she's gone."
     "Why on earth wouldn't you tell me? I'll go back home, send out a search party..."
     "Why would they send out a search party for her? It's not illegal for her to go into town herself and stay for a couple of weeks. And besides, you can't go home now... Wait, you'd send out a search party?" Quin was looking at her strangely, and at once Isadora realized her mistake.
      "Oh, you know. Get some people together and whatnot," she said hurriedly, trying to cover up.
      "Isadora, I told you about my family. What are you hiding about yours?"
      "Nothing, really. Just... my family has some rank in the kingdom." She looked down at her lap and crossed her fingers, hoping he wouldn't inquire further.
      "I guessed as much. It was obvious you hadn't done much work." He smiled at her and she stood up, putting a hand on his shoulder.
      "Well, I suppose all secrets are out then. I'm going to get ready for bed." As she walked away, her smile began to tremble and she realized she would never be able to tell Quin the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment