Thursday, January 24, 2013

Part 8

I smiled hesitantly. Jo and the others were even more cheerful than before, and continued to drink and speak in loud, happy tones.
I walked into the other room, searching for solitude. I needed to think.

A power with words? A way of convincing people of lies? I didn't like this. I didn't like this at all. This would mean...it would mean that I would never know whether or not someone really believed me or not. I could make friends who wouldn't normally like me, I could have anything I want.

My head spun and I sat in an overstuffed armchair. I heard someone enter the room and I cringed at the thought of the party entering my little sanctuary.

"Can I talk to you?" It was Caleb's voice. I sat up immediately, without meaning to. Caleb sat beside me, him features serious.

"Listen, I'm sorry about the whole 'kidnapping' thing. I'm sorry if we scared you, or if you were uncomfortable. Also, I hope you aren't too overwhelmed with your gift. I know Jo can come on strong sometimes, too strong. I mean, I remember how he was when he discovered what I could do. I think i hid from him for at least a week, because every time he saw me he got all enthusiastic and talked to me as if I was the savior of the world, or something."

My ears perked up and I stared at Caleb as he spoke. He could do something, also? What world did I live in...a place where there were powers.

I asked, "Can you also cloud people's minds?" Caleb smiled and shrugged his shoulders.

"No, but I can do this." He stood and walked over to the window. He pressed his hands to the glass and I held my breath, unsure of what would happen.

For a moment, there was nothing. Then, Caleb's hands began to glow a pale orange, than a deeper hue. Than deeper, richer. He moved away from the window, his hands still glowing like the sun. He was grimacing, and his eyes were shut tight, but he walked to the center of the room, then, in a single fluid motion, spread his arms out.

I gasped as the heat hit me. His warmth spread throughout the room, warming every part of me. I quickly shed my outer layer as I began to sweat.

Caleb sat back down, blowing on his hands, which were bright red.

"Caleb?", I asked softly, "You can transfer heat?"

"Yes. Or the cold. Or rain. Whatever the temperature is outside, and as long as I have a way of getting to it through a surface such as a window."

"That's amazing!"

"You sound like Jo." Caleb gave a weak smile. I noticed his hands again, still red.

"It hurts you."

"It's just because of the glass. It would hurt you, also, if you pressed your hands against something so hot."

Before I could say anything else, Jo ran in.

"Haha! I see Caleb has shown you what he can do. Isn't he the most incredible boy?"

No comments:

Post a Comment