Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Rudolph and Isadora, Part 52

Isadora awoke to loud voices. Her head hurt and her entire body ached with soreness. She couldn't quite figure out where she was. She tried to open her eyes, and had to squint to protect her eyes from the noonday sun. A rather large woman came in through the door, and Isadora winced as the voices got louder, than became muted again as the door closed.
     "Well, we've been getting all sorts of you bedraggled travelers lately. Feeling a bit better, dear? I brought you some soup. You looked a fright when my Lowan brought you in. He said to me, 'Mum, I found her in the forest,' he did, and so I said, 'bring her in, for goodness sakes. Now I don't want to know what happened, but you can stay here for a few days. I've got George just about convinced that we can spare the room and whatnot. Now, I'll be back in a jiffy - don't move."
     Isadora didn't think she could have moved even had she wanted to, but she was busy trying to soak in what the woman had said. A boy named Lowan - the woman's son, she assumed - had brought her in from the forest, and she was now once again in someone else's bed, living entirely off their generosity. Oh, why on earth had she ever let Quin go off alone?
     The woman came in again, and Isadora asked timidly, "Excuse me, madam. Where am I, exactly?"
     "Why you're at the Drinking Bear, of course! Only the best inn in town!"

No comments:

Post a Comment