Sunday, March 20, 2011

Part 19

Isadora stammered, "Wh..wh...what?". Quin came closer, taking in her packed back and braided hair.
"You going somewhere, then." It was not a question. Isadora had already explained about Rudolph, she had already made it clear that she was to rescue him. So why is he saying this? Does he want me to stay? Isadora hung her head, then tilted it back up so she could take in his face for the last time.
"I need to get to Rudolph. I..have to."
Isadora turned and began to walk away. Soon though, she was running as fast as she could through the woods, sticks snapping loudly beneath her feet and branches swatting at her face and clothes.
Soon, she was aware that she was being followed. She tried to run faster, but the steps were growing nearer and nearer. She turned quickly, hoping to call out, "Go away! I need to do this!", but she stumbled on a gnarled root and fell down hard.
Quin was beside her seconds later, picking her up gingerly and depositing her on soft grass two strides away. Isadora moaned in pain. Her hands, which had broken her fall, looked badly bruised, with pinholes of blood decorating her palm. Her knees were also badly scratched.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, it's my fault you fell down. But I could not let you go. I'll come with you. I told Jodra last night if she awoke to find us both missing, she should not worry."
Isadora was distracted from her pain instantly. She smiled happily, a silly thing to do that made her go all red in the face, and said, "I'd like that, Quin."

No comments:

Post a Comment